I am a perfectionist, an over thinker and over worker when it comes to important things in my life. The combination of these qualities means that I tend to overstrain myself at the worst of times.
Whilst I was at University I took all of my modules, did work experience and took on side projects when I could. I was extremely overwhelmed a lot of the time, especially during the last few weeks of deadlines.
I also suffer with depression, which does not help the situation.
I know a lot of students will agree that workload (amongst other things) can become extremely stressful. I used my mental discipline to push to the side my emotional exhaustion and it worked. However, I put so much of my time into my work that I neglected other areas of importance.
Recently I have seen a lot of posts on practicing self-love and self-care and every one of these posts are different and inspiring.
I learnt too late to practice self-love and self-care when I needed it the most.
I still tend to work at the moment even though University has finished, but not as much. I work on my blog, have just started a part time job and am always applying for post-graduation jobs. If I have days off I don’t know what to do with myself and ‘me days’ are and odd one for me.
When I have days off I find myself the most overwhelmed. I feel as though I should be doing things.
Learning to practice self-love and self-care is difficult for anyone. I have come so far but still have a long way to go.
Here are some of the things that I do to practice self-love and self-care.
- Go for a walk.
- Go shopping.
- Clean your space.
- Re-organise your space.
- De-clutter any unwanted items in your space.
- Listen to a relaxing playlist. (My go-to playlist is The Vampire Diaries/Delena playlist created by: Danielle Bojko on Spotify)
- Meal prep.
- Work on your blog.
- Draft a blog post on self-love and self-care. Think of all the things that you do to look after your mental health and put it in a post to remind you. If you don’t want to blog about it, simply write things down.
- Take alternative routes when out and about. Discover something new.
- Change up your morning routine.
- Change up your night routine.
- Talk to a friend.
- Go for a drink.
- Go out for a wonder with your camera and get some shots.
- Do a home workout.
- Unplug for an hour or so. Be wifi free.
- Update your blogging ‘brand’. Revamp your media profiles.
- Paint your nails.
- Have a nap.
- Write down your thoughts.
- Splurge your money and treat yourself on an item that you’ve been eying up recently.
- Plan a mini break.
- Ask for help or advice from someone you know or someone you don’t.
- Watch your favourite film.
- Watch your favourite series.
- Binge on your favourite YouTubers.
What things do you do to practice self-love and self-care?